It’s been rainy and cold for what feels like weeks. I’m not a big fan of this weather! It’s just so nasty and depressing. The funny thing about that is…I love rain in the summer, but it’s not as nice when it comes with freezing temps.
We spent most of last weekend taking down our indoor Christmas decorations. That’s always an adventure. How is that it seems to take longer taking it down than it does to put it up? On Sunday I used my Skinny Taste cookbook and made Gina’s homemade granola. I scooped out the serving size and placed each one in little snack size bags so it’ll be easy to grab and go. We’ve also made her “Un”stuffed Cabbage soup, which was amazing.
To brighten up my day on Tuesday I wore a turquoise cardigan and Mac ‘Rebel‘ lipstick. It’s one of those shades I LOVE but rarely wear. On the mornings I don’t have time to do eye makeup I often grab bold lipstick to put on in the office. It makes me feel more complete, maybe even a bit more glam. For this I used Mac’s prep and prime lip primer and a neutral lip liner, but I have my eye on a Mac liner that would go great with Rebel.
What do you do to brighten up your winter days?
someone had to sit at the table while we ate New Years Day dinner. someone may be spoiled. I’m not naming any names.
It’s hard to believe we are already in another new year. When I was a kid the days and years seemed drag along. Now it’s like I blink and months have flown by. I suspect the reason for that is, as a child I wasn’t busy. Sure, I had to go to school, but that was it. I didn’t have responsibilities like I do now.
Anyway, I’m determined to make this year great. While I’m not declaring “resolutions” I do have a list of things I am going to work on.
- Read more. In the past I challenged myself to read a certain number of books every year. For the most part I met or surpassed that goal, because I hate to “lose”. Last year I didn’t do the challenge and I went weeks and weeks without reading. I was not happy about that, especially since I was still buying books on the regular.
- Write regularly. Not specifically blogging, though I’m hoping to do more of that in the next twelve months. I’m determined to make progress on my fiction stories though. Possibly even start something new or at least brainstorm on recent ideas. After work today I’m stopping by the book store near my office to pick up a journal. My Papaw wrote little micro entries for years and years, as did his mother. I want to start doing that too.
- Be more aware of what I’m putting into my body. In general, I eat pretty healthy. I love fruits and veggies. I don’t eat red meat, but I do eat poultry and some fish. Any bread I have is wheat and I try to watch my carbs. But lately I’ve been slipping, repeatedly. Strangely enough, it’s been on sweets, which are filled with sugar and cholesterol, both of which I’m suppose to avoid. Last night while watching the Sugar Bowl I wrote out a shopping list for recipes from the SkinnyTaste cookbook. I plan to prepare things this weekend and have yummy, healthy meals for next week.
- Get snap happy. I used to carry my camera in my purse, back when all I had was a pocket size point and shoot. But since I bought my DSLR a few years ago it’s much heavier and only randomly carry it with me. I’ve started a 365 project on Flickr.
- Sleep! Go to bed on time, and get up on time. I had been doing so well with getting the right amount of sleep until the last year or so.
- Wear makeup. I know this is kinda silly, but I’ve always loved playing with makeup. Decorating my eyes with fun looks, bright lipsticks. Last year that changed, because I allowed someone to sorta dictate that for me. It was silly and I started to become someone I wasn’t. This goal sorta plays hand in hand with sleep/getting up on time. I’m really bad about waiting until the last minute before getting up and it doesn’t give me time to do much more than foundation and mascara. For years I invested so much into cosmetics that have just collected dust recently. Fixing that.
- Travel. Pretty self explanatory. I have a lot of people and a lot of places I want to visit this year.
Above all, I want to Be Aware. I don’t want to float through the year and become complacent. I do that a lot. I tend to wait for things to happen. I don’t like that about myself. I guess “aware” is my word for the year. I can’t wait to see what I do with it.
My office was closed Tuesday through Thursday of last week, so I used a day of vacation on Friday and only had to work Monday. Six whole days off! It’s been a while since I’ve taken that much time in a row. It was glorious. I caught up on the dvr, hung out with my mother, did some reading, and some writing.
The family went to the botanical garden to see the light display there. We try to go every year. Some years they add new things, but it’s fun to see some of our favorites year after year.
Instead of a big dinner this year my brother and I convinced my mother we should do something small. We all slept in then I made this breakfast casserole for brunch and my mother made biscuits. For dinner we had a cajun fried turkey (to make sandwiches) and I threw together cheese dip. Cooked sausage, cream cheese, and rotel. Pretty much the best dip I’ve ever put in my mouth, to be honest.
On Christmas Eve I made a Kentucky pecan pie slash derby pie slash chocolate pecan pie. I’m not wild about pecan pie (gasp) because of the caro syrup based filling, but I love love love pecans. This was a nice change of pace. It was sooo yummy when warm.
We didn’t open presents until late in the day. I received clothes for work, a sewing machine(!!!), a few classic movies on dvd, a new hair dryer from my brother and other random things. BTW, how cute is this little plate my mother found for me?!
Mine was a super relaxing day. How was your holiday?
I should probably start changing it up when I pose for a picture.
This is the dress I wore for my office party. After reading the reviews I sized up since it’s 100% cotton (which I LOVE). I think it would be great with a petticoat or crinoline under it! The belt that comes with it is pictured on the website to be worn tied in the front but I wasn’t feeling that.
Also, the dress has pockets! Ya know, in case you get overly excited about that sort of thing like I do.
shoes: shoe carnival
necklace: charming charlie
After my regular work hours I added Mac blacktrack fluidline gel liner and Mac Viva Glam Rihanna 1 lipstick and lipglass.
This is the outfit I wore to my work luncheon with board members. Totally professional, obviously. I paired it with a blue tee and red cardigan because of her blue dress and her (duh) red hooded cape. I felt like it was boxy when I got dressed so I added a belt I had from a dress.
Look at the cute detail at the bottom of the skirt! BONUS: It has pockets as well! tee: old navy
cardigan: old navy (fan the flames)
tights: old navy
necklace: I can’t remember!!
A few weeks ago I went shopping with my mother. A new Belk and Mac counter opened a month or so back so I finally checked it out. While looking at red lipsticks (because the five or six I already owned weren’t enough, obviously) the girl working suggested I give the new Viva Glam Rihanna 1 a try. I’m so glad she did! The lipstick I’d been looking at originally was pretty sheer (Cockney), but I was wanting something that wasn’t like my usual Russian Red since it’s matte and dries my lips out. At first I was only going to purchase the lipstick and then she layered the lipglass over it and WELL. Guess what came home with me!? I bet you’ll never get it right. The lipstick has a bit of a iridescent, gold shimmer to it at different angles. BUT THE LIPGLASS SPARKLES. It’s soooo pretty. I’m wearing the lipstick alone on the left and the lipstick with lipglass on the right. I can not stop listening to Taylor Swift’s 1989. Even during my Christmas baking and candy making sessions. Tay Tay all the way! Lately I’ve just been throwing outfits together, I’m not even going to lie. Random colors and what not. This mustard and white striped top is a standby on mornings I don’t want to think about my wardrobe too much. It’s super soft and comfy but short sleeve. I throw on a cardigan (from Old Navy) and call it done. Please ignore my wrinkles. I’m kind of embarrassed to even post this photo. Oh, but the part I love about this is my necklace from Venbead!! It’s an old bullet casing with a hand blown piece of glass. It’s the coolest. I’ve had it for a while and wear it pretty often. I get a lot of questions and compliments. Cookie baking machine, am I! Last year I posted the M&M cookie recipe my family has been using for years. It produces a crispy cookie, which I’m not crazy about. This year I talked the family into trying something different. I’m using this recipe from Averie Cooks. It’s super simple and makes nice soft cookies. I make my cookies smaller than her recipe suggests. They are so yummy! I’ve made a third batch already, making them both with and without the chocolate chips. A few weeks ago I had my hair done. I finally did something I’d been wanting to do for a while. Violet low lights/streaks/whatever you want to call it. I love it. A lot. I had colored it myself, a darker color than I intended, to cover my gray a couple of weeks before I went into the salon for this. So it didn’t turn out as visible as I’d have liked BUT I plan on doing it again once I can get my medium brown back. My favorite part is someone will say “oh you colored your hair red!” and then as soon as the sunlight hits it they gasp “it’s purple!” The tone of the color makes it easier for me to get away with having an ‘unnatural’ color at work since I’m in an office. I’m currently reading, Candlelight Christmas by Susan Wiggs, a book I downloaded from NetGalley. It’s part of a series (which I haven’t read) but I was in the mood for a Christmas novel. I’m 60% done and really enjoying it. It’s a light read and has some pretty fun characters. That’s about it, I think! Just a few things I’m currently enjoying.
I posted my makeup set up a while back, showing my makeup organization but it felt like such a mess. I had been wanting the Ikea Alex storage unit for years but two issues have held me back. 1) we don’t have an Ikea store in Alabama and 2) shipping from Ikea.com is expensive.
I went to Atlanta, GA for a girls weekend back in September and I finally scored Alex to bring home with me.
I love that some of the drawers are shallow, and others are deeper, for bigger items.
The clear box on top of the unit stores single Mary Kay eye shadows. I forgot to take a picture of those.
Top drawer: My foundations, concelors, primers, hand mirror, tweezers, hair chalk
Second drawer: single eye shadows, palettes, eye crayons
Third: pigments, liquid eye liners, small pencil eye liners, fake lashes
Fourth: loose powders, blushes, mineralized face powders
Fifth: lip products
Sixth: Nail products (not to mention the nail polish rack I have)
Seventh: Hair tools and a few random clutch purses
Eighth: Hair products
Ninth: Spare products and empty Mac containers